Start the new year off right by using your fitness benefit!
Raise your hand if you’ve ever made a New Year’s resolution, and keep it raised if that New Year’s resolution was to exercise more this year. If you are an ApexHealth Medicare Advantage plan member, we have good news! All ApexHealth plans include the Silver&Fit® Exercise and Healthy Aging program. Need help using your fitness benefit? We have some answers to some questions you might have.
1. What is included in the Silver&Fit® Healthy Aging and Exercise program?
The Silver&Fit program provides its members with fitness options and healthy aging resources to empower them to get fit. ApexHealth members receive access to a no-cost single center fitness membership through a robust network of participating fitness centers and select YMCAs. If you like the flexibility of working out at home, you can choose one Home Fitness Kit per benefit year. The Silver&Fit program also offers the public free daily workouts of various types and levels on Facebook Live and YouTube every Monday-Saturday and member exclusive on-demand workouts to take your home workout sessions to the next level!
2. How do I get started with the Silver&Fit program?
ApexHealth members can go to the Silver&Fit website to register, select a participating fitness center or select YMCA, and/or choose their Home Fitness Kit. Members who choose a fitness center should print a paper copy of the Silver&Fit card, or download it on their phone, and bring it to the fitness center or YMCA location they selected.
3. What kinds of Home Fitness Kits are available to ApexHealth members?
Members can go to the Home Kits page on the Silver&Fit website to explore the selection of available kits. Options include:
- Fitbit® Wearable Fitness Tracker Kit
- Garmin® Wearable Fitness Tracker Kit
- Pilates Kit with a Pilates ball and hand towel
- Beginner Strength Kit with two-pound dumbbells and exercise bands
- Intermediate Strength Kit with three-pound dumbbells and exercise bands
- Advanced Strength Kit with five-pound dumbbells and exercise bands
- Beginner Swim Kit with swimming goggles and a kickboard
- Advanced Swim Kit with aquatic resistance gloves and a pull float
- Beginner Yoga Kit with a mat and hand towel
- Intermediate/Advanced Yoga Kit with a yoga strap and two yoga blocks
4. I’m new to the Silver&Fit program. Can I continue to use my existing fitness center or YMCA?
If the fitness center or YMCA is part of the Silver&Fit network, then yes. Members can advise the fitness center or YMCA to freeze their membership. You can search for a fitness center that’s part of this network using the search tool on the Silver&Fit website.
Remember that exercise is great at any age. When you’re over 60, the National Council on Aging (NCOA) says there are some key benefits including:
- Preventing bone loss
- Relieving osteoporosis pain
- Preventing chronic disease
- Boosting immunity
- Improving mood
If you have any more questions about how to use your fitness benefit this year, give us a call at (844) 279-0508 (TTY: 711). Your ApexAssistant is also here to assist you. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (local time) from Apr. 1 through Sept. 30 and seven days a week 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. (local time) from Oct. 1 through Mar. 31. You can also contact Silver&Fit Customer Service at (877) 427- 4788 (TTY/TDD: 711), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (Eastern time).
The Silver&Fit program is provided by American Specialty Health Fitness, Inc., a subsidiary of American Specialty Health Incorporated (ASH). Silver&Fit is a trademarks of ASH and used with permission herein. Kits are subject to change.